Guided tour of Beaune and around
- Hôtel Dieu / Hospices civils: a must, do not miss. The most visited site in Burgundy (nearly half a million visitors a year). hospices-de-beaune.com
- The Collégiale Church / Notre Dame de Beaune Basilica: superb roman church of the 12th century.
- Hotel of the Dukes of Burgundy: 14th century palace. Former parliament of Burgundy (1353) now a museum of wine.
- The Wine Market: former church right in front of Hospices Civils. The only wine produced in the city center. Used to be the wine of mass for Franciscan monks. An opportunity to experience a nice wine tasting. Tel : +33(0) 380 25 08 20.
You will discover all these historical and heritage jewels in a radius of 500 meters, 7’ walk from your apartment.
- Moutarderie Fallot (10’ walk): production of very high quality mustards since 1840. Obtaining the classification of “mustard of Burgundy” in 2009 (protected geographical indication-PGI). A nice visit, a tasting offered. fallot.com
- The Castle of Clos de Vougeot (28km, 16 miles): the cradle of the world viticulture. Headquarter of the brotherhood of knights tastevin. Built by the Cistercian monks in the 12th century and completed in 1551. Plan a minimum of 1 hour visit. closdevougeot.fr
Oeno tourism / Gastronomy
- Wine tours (daily, multi days, special tours) with English specialists. They will meet you at our mansion for a coffee and pick you up for a marvelous experience ! Just contact Joy & Robert Pigott Burgundy Discovery. burgundydiscovery.com Groups wine tours: Divine Burgundy Tour
- On your own ? A nice tour few miles around in the prestigious villages of Pommard, Meursault, Volnay, Santenay, Mercurey, Puligny Montrachet, and also Auxey-Duresse, Savigny les Beaune, Gevrey Chambertin, Chambolle Musigny, Morey Saint Denis…
A list of wine producers can be found in your flat or on request: brochure (en route pour la Bourgogne published by the BIVB (office interprofessionnel de vins de Bourgogne). vins-bourgogne.fr
- Car excursions in the vineyards; Public, private, Taylor made tours. burgundy-tourism-safaritour.com
- Cycling in the vineyards (with or without tasting), free or guided tour. bourgogne-evasion.fr / burgundybiketour.com. 250 m from you apartment.
- Cooking course and wine course (visiting and tasting) : terroirs by Adeline. A very nice experience. 250m from our mansion. terroirsbyadeline.com Pastries making lessons: flavors and chefs to learn how to make the best French pastries 300m from your flat. flavorsetchefs.com Cooking class by Marjorie and Kendall. 100m from your apartment. thecooksatelier.com.
- Tasting specialities: burgundy snails, one of the most popular one… Helice the snails from Beaune offers a tasting with a glass of white wine. A very nice welcome. Tel: +33 (0) 983 72 05 49.
- Truffles: the gold of the Valois. The house of 1000 truffles offers discovery and tasting. truffedebourgogne.fr
Your discovery or re-discovery of Beaune and its region is full of gastronomy treasures… So difficult to choose… Audrey & Clément will of course be there to advise you and help you.
Discoveries & outdoor activities
- 100m: The cinéma Workshops founded by the famous French director Claude Lelouch. A training center for cinema professions. free and commented movies projections every day. ateliersducinéma.org
- 150m to 300m: Cooking or pastry classes (see above)
- 250m: bike rides and bike tours (see above)
- 5km: natural water pool for cooling , bathing or swimming. Beaune beach. beaunecoteplage.com
- 6km (3miles): Golf 9 – 18 holes. golfdebeaune.com
- 18km (11miles): Santenay casino for a gambling night. joa.fr
- 26km (16miles): Citeaux Abbey founded in 1098 by the order of the Cistercian monks builders of the chateau de clos de Forgeot and famous cheese producers. citeaux-abbaye.com
- 28km (18miles): castle of Clos de Vougeot 12th century; The origin of viticulture developed by Cistercian monks; closdevougeot.fr
- 70km (44miles): Bibracte archeological site 52B.C. capital of Gaules 2.000 years ago
- 80km (49miles): Alesia place of the siege of Vercingetorix (80.000 Gauls) by Caesar (60.000 roman soldiers). alesia.com
- 80km (49miles): Flavigny abbey near Alesia, founded in 465-719A.D. by bénédictins monks now famous for anis sweets (you will be offered some at la maison des courtines. anis-flavigny.com
- Hiking: a very large choice via an app describing pedestrian paths and pretty original walks. Smartphone Application : baladesenbourgogne
- Balloon flights, with Air Escargot to fly above the World heritage Site : « les climats de Bourgogne ». air-escargot.com